Spotlight on Courts: judges and their discourse from a multidisciplinary perspective
Dates: 4-5 March 2021
Venue: Faculty of Philology, University of Lodz, Pomorska 171/173, 90-236 Lodz, Poland
Organizers: Department of Specialized Languages and Intercultural Communication, University of Lodz
Prof. Stanislaw Gozdz-Roszkowski
Prof. Gianluca Pontrandolfo, University of Trieste
Prof. Julia Mazurkiewicz-Sułkowska
dr Paulina Nowak-Korcz
mgr Joanna Kozłowska
mgr Aleksandra Makowska
〉We are pleased to announce that several distinguished scholars have confirmed their participation and their names along with a tentative programme will be released shortly on the conference website.
The deadline for registering for this event is (details are pending)
The participation (non-paper) fee is 50 EUR payable to:
BIC (kod SWIFT) – PKOPPLPW
IBAN- PL 56 1240 6292 1111 0010 9725 3018
Name of the account: Spotlight on Courts.
Please add NAME + SURNAME
〉The aim of this conference is to create the opportunity for scholars working otherwise in different disciplines to share their views and insights into various dimensions underlying contemporary judicial discourse. We wish to bring together lawyers (academics as well as practicioners), political scientists, legal linguists, media specialists, sociologists, etc. to consider a wide range of court-related phenomena and processes. The areas envisaged for scholarly discussion include but are not limited to the following:
– the judicialization of politics;
– the organization and working methods of courts and their impact on judicial discourse;
– the nature and function(s) of judicial dissent;
– media representations of courts and the judicial decision-making process;
– public perceptions of courts;
– courts and their image (communicating with the wider audience);
– judicial and political ways of conflict resolution;
– judicial argumentation;
– persuasive and evaluative concerns in judicial discourse
Papers for the workshop will be selected through a review process and presented during a two-day workshop. Each paper will be assigned a discussant. The atmosphere of the workshop will be informal and will give the participants an opportunity to present and discuss their ongoing research in a stimulating and interdisciplinary setting. Apart from individual papers grouped in theme-related panels, we plan to hold roundtable discussions.
We are also happy to announce that the first meeting of the ILLA Colloquium for PhD students will be held directly after the conference at the same venue. The Colloquium will be convened by prof. Prof. Dr. Friedemann Vogel (Siegen/Germany) together with Prof. Dr. Anne Lise Kjaer (Kopenhagen, Denmark).
The ILLA Colloquium of Legal Linguistics was initialized 2019 at the general meeting of the ILLA in Los Angeles (US) by the former president of ILLA, Prof. Dr. Friedemann Vogel (Siegen/Germany) together with Prof. Dr. Anne Lise Kjaer (Kopenhagen, Denmark), Prof. Dr. Stefan Höfler (Zurich, Sitzerland) and Dr. Karen McAuliffe (Birmingham, GB). The aim of the Colloquium is to assist early stage researcher preparing their doctoral dissertation in the context of language and law and give them an international platform to exchange knowledge about theory and methods.
This event will be FREE for all eligible PhD students. More details coming soon!
〉VENUE & HOTELS
Place: Faculty of Philology, University of Lodz, Pomorska 171/173, 90-236 Lodz, Poland
List of selected hotels with approximate distances from the conference venue:
- PURO Hotel Łódź Centrum https://purohotel.pl/pl/lodz (3 km)
- B&B hotel Łódź Centrum www.hotelbb.pl (4 km)
- Andel’s http://www.exclusive-places.com/pl/hotele/item/19-hotel-andels (4.5 km)
- University of Lodz conference centre and hotel http://csk.uni.lodz.pl/?lang=en (6.5 km)
- Hotel Campanile https://www.campanile.com/en/hotels/campanile-lodz (6 km)
- Holiday Inn Łódź http://hilodz.com/ (6 km)
- Hotel DoubleTree by Hilton https://www.doubletreelodz.pl/en/ (6.5 km)
〉GETTING TO ŁÓDŹ
The city of Łódź is located conveniently in the centre of Poland, one hour’s drive from the capital city of Warsaw and its major airport: https://www.lotnisko-chopina.pl/en/index.html
Łódź can also be reached from the other Warsaw airport Modlin https://en.modlinairport.pl/ which runs a frequent shuttle service between the aiport and Łódź.
For train connections between Warsaw and Łódź, visit the intercity website: https://www.intercity.pl/en/
For any questions concerning your participation, please contact